Sunday, November 13, 2011

Lilacs

I love to paint flowers. Lilacs are one of my favorites. I used a reference photo for this one, since they are no longer in bloom.  Everywhere I go, I take hundreds of photos that I can refer back to when I am painting in the studio. Whenever I use  photos,  I only use them in the beginning to give me ideas. During the painting process, I become so involved with the painting and what I am trying to say with the paint, that I forget the photo and often shut off the monitor and just go from there. I don't believe in "copying" from a photo.  A photo is only a guide to get you going with the painting and eventually while in that creative zone the painting starts to tell you what it needs and it's almost like it is painting itself.

 "Lilacs"
8" x 10" Oil on linen panel



1 comment: